Due to COVID-19, leaving Australia is not currently possible for Australian citizens and permanent residents. However, in certain circumstances Australians can apply for an exemption to depart.
The only scenarios which permit an international departure are as follows:
- Your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid.
- Your travel is essential for the conduct of critical industries and business (including export and import industries).
- You are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia.
- You are travelling on urgent and unavoidable personal business.
- Compassionate or humanitarian grounds.
- Your travel is in the national interest.
Should you be required to depart on urgent business reasons or to reunite with family members offshore, then we may be able to seek an exemption for travel on your behalf. Further information regarding the above can be found here.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to Worldwide Migration Partners if you are required to depart the country. We can also provide guidance on what documentation to provide in support of your exemption application for leaving Australia.